Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) grants are for New York residents. Those who get these grants have to attend schools that are based in the state of New York. The TAP amount can be a maximum of $5000.00, which is great considering the fact that a grant does not have to be paid back. Students attending New York colleges are also eligible for TAP grants.
TAP Grant Requirements:
- You need to be a US Eligible Non-Citizen or Citizen.
- You need to reside legally in the state of New York.
- You have to be enrolled in an institution of post-secondary education that is approved to operate in the state of New York.
- You need to have earned a GED, or have graduated from a high school in the United States, or have passed the Ability to Benefit Test that is given by the Commissioner of the U.S. Department of Education.
- You have to take at least 12 credits per semester and be a full-time student.
- Your academic standing must be good and you must have matriculated in an approved program of study.
- After you receive two annual payments, you must have at least a C average.
- Your tuition must cost a minimum of $200.00 per year.
TAP grants are some of the best additions to financial aids that are available to the residents of the state of New York. You should consider some other factors to get a certain amount of money from these types of grants. One of these factors is whether you are receiving money from other grants, and the year when you made the first TAP payment. They will also consider your current tuition costs and the type of school you attend. The award will consider whether your family has more than one of its members in college or not. Local, state and federal pension incomes will be considered as well.
It is important to know that TAP does not offer grants for part-time students, and the above requirements are for full-time students only. The following schools are the only ones eligible for TAP grants: the City University of New York, the State University of New York, and degree-granting colleges that are independent and not-for-profit. If you want an application, you need to contact a guidance counselor right away, or go to the financial aid office at your school. It is also useful to know that you will receive more money if you enroll in a lot of credits. The TAP application is called the FAFSA and you need to fill out this form to apply for this very useful grant.
As you can see, applying for a TAP grant is not rocket science, and the requirements to get it are easy to meet. However, you need to be serious about your education in order to get the bright future you want. A TAP grant is one of the best things you can get to advance in life, but you need to make sure you meet each one of the requirements mentioned above to avoid losing time.